Students and staff were evacuated briefly this morning at West Alexander Middle School due to a small fire. According to Deputy Fire Marshall Mark Earle, a wall mounted ram and a heat lamp started smoldering in a classroom. The items were taken outside the building by a staff member at the school. The incident was reported at 7:45am, shortly before the start of classes. Several students were in the classroom and they along with other students and staff in the building were evacuated.
Bethlehem Fire Department responded to the scene, secured the area, and ventilated the building. Classes are now back in session. No damage was done to the structure according to Earle.