The Alexander County Household Hazardous Waste and Document Destruction Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 1 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. in the County Administration Building parking lot (621 Liledoun Road, Taylorsville).
This event provides county residents an opportunity to correctly dispose of environmentally harmful materials found around the home and personal documents, in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.
Items that will be accepted include:
• Household cleaners, such as drain openers, toilet bowl cleaners, oven cleaners, and disinfectants;
• Paint products, such as latex and oil-based paint, solvents, thinners, shellacs, varnishes, wood preservatives, and sealers;
• Pesticides, which include herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides in the forms of aerosols, liquids, granular, etc.;
• Miscellaneous items such as acids, bases, kerosene, household batteries, photographic chemicals, fluorescent bulbs, electronics, aerosol cans, pool chemicals, propane gas cylinders, and metallic mercury;
• Any type of personal documents for shredding, which will be shredded on-site in front of you. Only five boxes per vehicle will be allowed to ensure the line moves as smoothly as possible. The dimensions for an average copier paper box is approximately 18”x12”x10” (anything larger than this will count as more than one box).
The HHW/Document Destruction Day is a free service for Alexander County residents only. With the exception of farmers, no businesses will be allowed. Farmers are welcome to dispose of pesticides, including herbicides, insecticides, and fungicides in aerosol, liquid, or granular form, free of charge.
Sponsors for the event are Alexander County Government, Alexander County Cooperative Extension, and the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
For more information, contact the Alexander County Public Works/Facilities Department at (828) 632-1101 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Cooperative Extension at (828) 632-4451.