A Stony Point home was destroyed by fire Tuesday night. The Stony Point Fire Department along with Hiddenite, Wittenburg, and Alexander EMS, responded to a location off Middle Road around 8pm. When they arrived, the home was in flames.
According To Alexander County Deputy Fire Marshal Mark Earle the homeowner suffered a total loss. Earle says 3 people lived in the home, he estimates damages at $80,000 to $90,000.
The cause of the blaze according to Earle “The homeowner by mistake put gasoline in a kerosene heater”. Earle says the gas ignited and the fire spread quickly. 2 people were at home at the time of the fire and both were able to get out of the structure without injury.